I love to make this quick and easy starter when Hubby and I have a ‘date at home’.
We cook a special meal together, put some romantic music on, set the table beautifully and have a long, leisurely meal with wonderful conversation and sometimes even dancing! We clean up while we continue the engaging conversation! We chat about world events, seasons and growth in our lives, dreams, the Bible, our children, my Hubby’s work, etc. We so love these special times together!
Back to the subject at hand…
For a simple but FABULOUS STARTER:
1. Chop some cucumber: 6 or 7 thick slices per person and arrange them on individual plates.
2. Soften some cream cheese by beating it a little bit in a bowl.
3. Add a dollop of cream cheese on top of each slice of cucumber.
4. Slice some baby tomatoes and place one slice on each – these were the last tomatoes from our garden harvest!
5. Put a dollop of freshly-made basil pesto on top of each tomato slice and grate a little carrot over the top. (aren’t the colours stunning!)
6. My hubby is not crazy about tomatoes or pesto – so we just leave them out or replace them with red pepper for him and he’s happy! You can also add a little piece of smoked trout or salmon to each slice of cucumber.
No cutlery necessary – great gourmet finger food and good for a leisurely meal starter.
Now for the EASY BASIL PESTO:
We have so much Basil growing in our garden and most of it goes into Pesto which I like to freeze and then defrost as needed.
Into your blender, toss:
1. A cup of raw cashew nuts,
2. Between 2 and 3 cups of fresh basil leaves,
3. A few shakes of garlic and herb salt (or 2 cloves of fresh garlic and 1/2 t salt),
4. About 2T of parmesan cheese (optional)
5. About 1/2 cup olive oil
Blend together till the perfect consistency. Add more olive oil as needed. Try pushing the leaves down with a wooden spoon before adding too much oil. I like the nuts still a little chunky in the pesto – others like it smooth, your choice!
POST LINKED TO RAISING HOMEMAKERS.COM. Have a look there for some inspiring homemaking ideas.
“Nevertheless he left not himself without witness, in that he did good, and gave us rain from heaven, and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness.” Acts 14v17