The best salad? – it just is! Ask anyone who has tried it – they always say “Wow, that’s the best salad I have ever tasted!”
Its the secret ingredients!!
This recipe is written a bit differently to usual as I like to add bits as I go rather than get out all the ingredients up front.
So… how do we make it?
1. Find a big beautiful bowl – elegant and LARGE. Yes, its just for you but this salad is a complete meal!
2. Add lots of greens… whatever you have – baby greens, lettuce, spinach, etc.
3. Secret Ingredient no. 1 HERBS!
I never thought I liked herbs that much but this salad is just DULL without them. Pick whatever herbs you have in your garden, chop them and add them. I like to use fresh basil, oregano, rosemary, mint, parsley, nasturtium leaves and flowers, borage flowers and chives (which my daughter loves to pick from the garden for me)!
4. Chop up lots of cucumber and add it (no need to toss this salad till the end).
5. Now add your favourite chopped vegetables (I add olives, tomatoes, avocado, red pepper, sun dried tomato and for my hubby I add red pepper, peas, mango tout, baby corn, etc..)
6. Secret Ingredient no. 2 SEEDS!
Its amazing how seeds add an interesting crunchy rich flavour to the salad (definitely add sunflower seeds and perhaps some pumpkin and sesame seeds – RAW seeds are best).
7. Flavourings: sprinkle a pinch of each of the following over your salad:
Sea salt or herb salt (I love Mary-Anne’s garlic and herb salt)
A little garlic powder
8. Squeeze a lemon over the top of your salad and a dash of balsamic vinegar or soy sauce if you feel like it.
9. Add a generous amount of olive oil and lightly toss your salad.
10. Now for Secret Ingredient no 3… SESAME SPRINKLES! Serene’s amazing invention…
For this you need an electric coffee grinder:
Add 1/2 cup sesame seeds, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (health shop) & about 2tsp sea salt (to taste) and grind together.
This makes a sprinkle with a parmesan cheese type consistency and flavour.
Sprinkle liberally over your salad and gently toss again.
11. Last of all Secret Ingredient no. 4 MAPLE SYRUP!
Add 1-2TBS genuine maple syrup (or honey) and toss!!
YOU ARE DONE – enjoy!
This may sound like a big effort – but its so worthwhile and once you get an assembly line going its quick
– and just imagine what it will do for your health and your taste buds!
YUMMY – gotta go make salad!!
Linked to Day to Day Joys
“And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.” Genesis 1v29